Colorful eats in a colorful city

I’m sure it will not surprise long-time readers to hear that the first thing I did when planning my weekend in Valparaíso was ask for restaurant recommendations. What can I say, I like good food! As it turned out, our meals had a theme: color. We ate at both Color Café and SaborColor, names which make sense when you see the colorful houses in Valpo.

We started our weekend with a snack at Color Café. I don’t recommend the Spanish omelette since we think it gave us both upset tummies, but it’s still worth stopping in for a cup of tea – the list is extensive, with all sorts of flavors and types of tea – and to marvel at the décor.

Color Café

Silly faces

This is my marveling face

The word “eclectic” springs to mind. Where else would you see an 80s kitten poster paired with a collection of international currency? And if you feel like something’s missing from the walls, feel free to grab a napkin and add your own stamp with the markers provided.

Color Café decoration

International currency

Eclectic decoration

Even the women’s bathroom gets creative with its sheet music wallpaper and pasted on magazine cut-outs. I don’t know what the men’s looks like – any guys out there want to investigate and report back?

Women's bathroom at Color Café

To end the trip, we stopped in at SaborColor. We had some time to kill before our bus back to Santiago, and it was getting dark, so what better way to toast to a successful adventure than with fancy pisco sours? And cake, of course.

Colorful pisco sours

I had a ginger pisco sour while Laura tried the chardonnay sour, and both paired perfectly with raspberry meringue. This bar is a really classy place that I would definitely come back to, and if the drinks and desserts are anything to go on, I’m guessing the food is good as well.

SaborColor

There are plenty of places to grab a bite which offer amazing panoramas of the ocean – we recommend Belle Epoque for a sunset coffee – so why head to the coast and miss out on the view?

Well, you can always have lunch and dinner overlooking the Pacific. But all that walking the hills means you deserve a mid-morning break for a cup of tea. And you’re on vacation, so add in an evening pisco sour too. Just make sure that wherever you decided to eat in Valparaíso, you don’t miss out on these colorful spots.

Walking the hills of Valparaíso
Graffiti in Valparaíso
Review: Casa Valparaíso Hostel
7 reasons to take a boat tour in Valparaíso

All photos thanks to Laura.

27 Responses to “Colorful eats in a colorful city”

This looks like a fun place – I love those menus!

2. Kim says:

I definitely begin all travel planning & daydreaming with food!

3. Love the atmosphere and names! A ginger pisco sour? Que ricoooooo!

4. Audrey says:

I like restaurants where you can stick notes and napkins up on the wall – it makes it so personable! And that meringue cake paired with pisco sour sounds divine! I could really go for that combo right now. :D

5. Such a colorful place makes for some great photos. I’d like to try that chardonnay sour — never heard of it before, but I’ll bet that I’d like it.

6. Ayngelina says:

These places look fantastic, I love a restaurant that is a bit more fun, less stuffy.

7. Wow, that cake looks incredible! Plus the Pisco Sours? Perfect!

It was a very yummy cake. I think meringue can be a bit blah, but this was really light, and the sweetness went perfectly with the tart raspberry flavor.

So fun — and so girly. Perfect.

I want a pisco sour now. And it’s only 10:20am. Thanks :)

10. Camels & Chocolate says:

Ginger pisco sours AND raspberry meringue??? Girl, we would be such compatible travel buddies!!!

I want a pisco sour and a piece of that cake!!! looks so good!!!

You will be here soon! Maybe you won’t get them there, but pisco sour and raspberry meringue cake can definitely be arranged in Santiago.

12. I love that photo of the pink cake and the pisco sours. Reminds me of Alice in Wonderland for some reason.

13. It’s tough to admit but my favorite drink is the chardonay sour in SaborColor! :) We’re glad you enjoyed and blogged about Valparaiso!