The perfect storm

As of late, my life has conspired against me having much time to blog, much less any of that thing I barely remember called free time. And look, I realize Clooney and Co. would laugh at the idea of my busy few weeks being anything like their storm, but just because I live in Latin America doesn’t mean I don’t have first world problems, ok?

Dark clouds...

Via Gemma Stiles

I do have first world problems. One of them being that too many fun things have come all at once. Soccer has started up again, and I am actually currently dead thanks to running so much in our game tonight. This is a zombie blog post. I hear zombies are all the rage these days now that vampires are kind of over. Right? Or have I got it backward?

I’ll be able to find out for myself soon enough because I’m headed to the US tomorrow! A friend is getting married, so I’m taking my annual trip home. Where I will shop till I drop, eat till I pop and find out about the current pop culture stance on zombies. I’m sorry, I couldn’t make zombies rhyme. I’ll also see friends and family and all that good stuff, plus I will soon see my husband again. He’s still gallivanting around Europe*, but he promises to meet me in San Francisco in a week.

PLUS – yes, there’s more – my friend Laura spontaneously came to Chile, which. was. awesome. We had the absolute best time, including my best ever trip to Valpara√≠so (posts to come, of course), but making silly faces and eating and drinking far too much doesn’t leave much time for things like sleeping. God, I miss sleep like you wouldn’t believe. I’m excited to get on the plane, pop one of my pills and just pass the eff out tomorrow night.

Almirante Montt houses

Oh right, pills. For the past month and a half, I’ve had a headache. That, as you can imagine, is kind of annoying. Just as I was fearing I might be the next Jennette Fulda, a neurologist prescribed pills that so far seem to be helping. These pills make me sleepy, however, which isn’t a great side-effect when I’m already staying up too late between all my fun and the MOUNTAIN (yes, all in caps) of work under which my team has been buried for the past few weeks.

The good news is that as a result of this headache, I had a brain MRI, and I now have confirmation that I not only have a brain, I have a brain in perfect working condition. So HA, internet haters.

And umm, that’s it. I have no snappy ending. Please refer to aforementioned deadness and headache and lack of sleep. The asterisk up there is supposed to go to me telling you about how I’m also gallivanting around Europe in photo form on the Emily in Chile Facebook page, which you should check out and like. Please.

Have a wonderful Friday, and if all goes to plan, I will be back this weekend coming at you from the northern hemisphere.

15 Responses to “The perfect storm”

1. Ayngelina says:

Aww first world problems in Chile, so cute :)

I seriously have issues with the phrase because I feel like I often have first world problems but then I don’t technically quite live in the first world, so are they really only second world problems? Clearly I’m over thinking this one.

Have a great trip back home Emily…soak up the love of family and friends. Have fun!
    Love that picture of you and Rodolfo.

Have fun in California!!!!! About the headaches : i also have a strong pill for migraines and the side effects are different every time so I don’t take it. They make me sleepy or dizzy or nauseous. Some Women in their late 20s or early 30s get them for no known reason! and we are part of that group :(

Luckily mine aren’t migraines just bad normal headaches that were creating a viscious cycle. But I’m hoping this will fix me, and at least I got some great sleep on the plane last night!

4. Sydney says:

I love this post so much because I can totally hear you saying it!! Cannot WAIT to see you!

Oh good, one of my oldest friends thinks it sounds totally normal for me to write about zombies. Would I be worried? See you tomorrow!

5. Laura says:

Yay for a trip home! Have fun :)

Love that photo of you two! Have fun in the US — sad I’m going to miss you! :(

I know, I was really hoping Vegas would work. Tell the magazine you need to do a last minute feature on SF and come play here instead!

7. I know what you mean! Lately, all these fun things have come my way in the form of work assignments (like being asked to go back on the ship all summer in the Med, which I had to turn down), plus my sister has three months off before starting her Big Four firm job and wants me to backpack around Europe with her, but all I really want to do is enjoy my first summer back in the South with CMA Fest, Bonnaroo and all the fun things Nashville offers. Plus, we’re in the process of buying a house so I know that’s going to take up a lot of time and am trying to account for that. BUT! So many fun places to go with awesome people… #firstworldproblems

Oh, those aren’t even my options and even so just reading them I want to do them all! I don’t envy you having to choose.

Hi Emily,
    Are you still in San Francisco? I hope you are enjoying or enjoyed your time there. Tell me, where was the picture of you and Rodolfo in front of the heart taken exactly? I will be visiting San Francisco in the next month and would love to find that exact spot :) Thanks