Beautiful Grand Central Station

I lied in my last post about New York City. I said I didn’t do anything touristy because I didn’t go on any specific sightseeing outings. However, I did end up experiencing one very famous NYC spot. In order to meet up with my boss and do the work that was the entire point of my trip, I had to take the train. It left from Grand Central Station, a New York landmark.

Grand Central Station 100th anniversary

Apparently the correct name is Grand Central Terminal, but I’m sticking with the old name. I’ve seen one too many romantic movies where our heroes finally find each other in Grand Central Station to change my word choice. Besides, “terminal” sounds sort of clinical and boring, which this place certainly is not.

Grand Central Station clock

Even just buying a ticket seems fancy when you’ve got marble counters to lean on. And lean I did, since it was 7 am, and I’d been woken up at 5 by a confused taxi driver. Yes, that is my mea culpa to explain the photo quality in this post.

Grand Central ticket booth

While I was trying to remember how to use my camera, I was also trying to corral my suitcases. The main concourse was full of people on their daily commute and in a hurry who probably did not appreciate my wide (and somewhat lost) load. Can you imagine having a place this beautiful instead of your boring old bus stop on the way to work?

Grand Central Station main concourse

Safely ensconced in an out of the way corner, I could finally appreciate the ceiling. Its astronomical designs were created in the 1930s, and it certainly adds to the feeling of being in a museum rather than simply in transit.

Grand Central Terminal ceiling

Of course, I was there for a reason, and eventually I did have to make it to my platform and onto the train. Unfortunately, my train was normal, not some gilded carriage from an earlier era. But I did have a bagel and a coffee. At that time of the morning, a few photos and a good breakfast was enough to make me happy.

Grand Central Station ceiling

Brunching in Battery Park

24 Responses to “Beautiful Grand Central Station”

I used to live near GC and there’s a bar in there that had a great happy hour – more boozy memories =)

Hmm, next time I will have to plan my timing better. The train ride would give me plenty of time to sober up before meeting up with my boss, and happy hour at Grand Central sounds so classy!

2. Federico says:

Great station isn’t it? No wonder so many movies feature it :)

3. Alex says:

Ah, I love Grand Central Station! They used to sponsor a major Kodak print from National Geographic photographers in one of the main windows… it would be absolutely huge, and of really exotic locations. Shame they stopped that…

4. Eileen says:

you know I can’t see a space like that and not think about roller blading in it. Would be so awesome! Until they took me away in handcuffs…

5. Pete says:

Loved GCC. I must have stood there for nearly an hour and just photographed people. I even had my tripod out which I’ve heard is a big no-no. I got away with it though. Glad you enjoyed and made your train :)

I really expected more people to give me dirty looks with all my luggage plus the ultimate tourist move of having the camera out, but everyone just ignored me in my little corner. I can see how as long as you were out of the way, people would leave you and your tripod in peace.

6. Erica says:

I love old architecture! Those are some rad windows!

I agree! I actually didn’t even notice at first that the window said 100 for the anniversary, I was too busy taking in the bigger picture.

7. Karla says:

Beautiful captures of GCC!

I visited last year and waited for a friend at the Apple Store.

I was literally in awe, it is so beautiful and wow I’ve never seen that many people under one roof!

It’s such a beautiful & historic site :)

AND there’s an Apple Store?! Apparently I can spend all of my next trip to New York just in here, I’ll never need to leave.

8. Juno says:

I went to a free tour at the Grand Central, and I learned a lot! It’s a fascinating place. One time I got off at the Grand Central from my short trip to CT, and it was an amazing feeling, to see all these wonderful architecture as soon as stepping out from the platform. :)

9. Sydney says:

Brian and I went on a free tour as well (probably the same one). It was AWESOME. the guide was a total character and the history and architecture of the building is so interesting. Next time! http://www.grandcentralpartnership.org/things-to-do/tours

10. I prefer “Grand Central Station” too. I think it’s a gorgeous station and when I’m in NYC, I sometimes walk through it just for fun.

11. I have never even thought to go in and look around.

12. Christy says:

Wow. I had no idea it was so pretty.